.

.

Tuesday 5 May 2015

Travel diaries: Venice!


Its #TravelTuesday, and today we are going to VENICE! I went to three cities in Italy, so the next three #TravelTuesday’s will be set it beautiful Italy. Venice, there is so much to say. I’m extremely lucky to have been to this amazing city, because it’s sinking. (So note to self: don’t buy real estate in Venice:)) There have been a lot of shop owners who have had to evacuate their business because of the water rising. We were thrown right into the vibrancy and beauty of Venice. I’ve never seen such small narrow streets; it was almost like walking through a human maze. I think we got lost a dozen times. So make sure you have a map on hand because some of the locals didn’t even know where things are We were trying to get to the train, and asked for directions and literally the man said “go left, right, left, right, left, left, right and then ask somebody else from there”. It’s the quirks make it funny and fantastic. My one top tacky tourist attraction would be a gondola ride. You must do this in Venice! Also try margarita pizza, because they are famous for it! If you want a good meal you have to pay for it. A lot of the restaurants charge for just sitting at a table listening to music. We went cheap and bought our pizza from a little shop and just ate around St Mark's square. We didn’t have a lot of time in Venice, so I can’t recommend any attractions besides eating because that’s basically all I do. I’m pretty sure I still have that pizza I ate on my hips! Piazza San Marco, or Saint Mark's Square is one of the most important squares in Venice. The amazing view of the water, but also the amazing architecture you’re surrounded with is breathtaking. Saint Marks’s Square is known as the "the drawing room of Europe," by Napoleon, check out three attractions at once. Basilica di san Marco which is the city’s most famous Roman Catholic cathedral and is the best Italian-byzantine pieces of architecture, Doge’s Palace which was once Venice's political and judicial hub; and Torre dell’Orologio. If you’re into art this city has tons of it, street art and museums. The Gallerie dell’Accademia has some of the most famous pieces of art. Want a great view? The Campanile, which is the city’s tallest building, stands 99m. It collapsed in July 1902, but was rebuild exactly “as it was, where it is” the town council of the day promised. Venice is also famous for masks. The Carnevale is the most famous masked balls and has existed since the middle ages; try on a beautiful mask in stores! Lastly try the vino! I’m not a fan of wine, but I heard good things from both my research on the city, and everyone on my bus tour. If you have been to Venice, or perhaps live there what are your top must see for the city? Anything to recommend, let me know in the comments!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment